Sunday, March 18, 2012

The not-racist story


“There are few more salutary smells than that of broken glass and kerosene,” she smoldered.
Rosa always was a complainer. As a stout, strong woman, she was the most valuable of all my slaves, but she had a sufficiently strong voice to turn everyone against me. In a single day she could pick more cotton than the whole lot of the Negroes, but her third attempt at coaxing the crew into burning down my house with an old lamp was something to worry about.
“Rosa, I’ll have ya strung up if you don’t git yer act straight,” I told her.
This sort of talk was completely necessary with Rosa. The only thing she really valued was her life. She didn’t care about the things the other colored women treasured. While the other women were singing songs and making new clothes, she could always be found in a corner scheming up a way to escape. It wasn’t that Rosa was a bad woman, just that she needed freedom.
She was valuable for me though. Unless someone was willing to pay me 20 dollars I’d never give her up.
--
After a long day of picking, Rosa walked in with 40 baskets of cotton, more than half the day’s haul. As was customary, I gave Rosa a basket of cotton for working harder than everyone else that day. For other women this would’ve been a treat. In the coming weeks after getting cotton I’d find new blankets or shirts in their old hut. When Rosa got the cotton I’d never find what she did with it. To this point she probably had earned more than a hundred baskets for her diligence in the field.
--
I went into town to sell my cotton and brought back a bigger haul at the market than ever before. This year I sold my cotton for a dollar a basket. I had enough to buy an entire new plantation after this harvest.
When I returned home I saw the familiar smoke coming from the fireplace of my house. As I approached the house, I saw white material stacked six feet high lining my entire house. Rosa tossed an old lamp onto the cotton and flames erupted.
“There are few more salutary smells than that of broken glass and kerosene,” she smoldered.
--
-David Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment