Monday, March 26, 2012

We all scream for ice cream


-First line credit to Jordan Wilson-Kennedy

Once upon a time, I was happy. My business was going swimmingly, and the advent of global warming seemed only to confirm the fact that everything was going my way. Growing up, I had always been haunted and enchanted by the sounds of the ice cream truck as it rolled through my central Ohio neighborhood. I loved the announcement of the high-pitched, whining jingle, and then as it got closer to my house, it’s development into a full soaring melody of epic proportions, for the portions of the ice cream that I inevitably bought were certainly mythic. I knew from an early age that I wanted my life to somehow be involved in bringing that same joy to others, so shortly after breezing through college with a Comms degree, I used up my savings (which I had gathered from my work at the local ice cream store) to buy a vintage ice cream truck, which I painstakingly restored, including the record player. Ohio, famous for its unpredictable weather, could rely on one constant: three months of unyielding, sweltering heat and humidity. Armed with my knowledge of the area, a business acumen from goodness knows where (my dad was a local garage mechanic, for which almost no business knowledge was required).
For a time, things went extremely well. One ice cream truck turned into two, those two produced more trucks, and pretty soon the jingles of the Juchau’s Mobile Gelato truck fleet could be heard in every neighborhood of central Ohio. The competition was at times cutthroat, and I’m not always proud of the decisions that I had to make at that time. But my ice cream was the best, I knew the market the best, and in my eyes, the competition was only a drag on market efficiency. Economics of scale, right?
The phenomenon known as global warming, so dangerous to low-lying countries like Naru and the Arctic ice caps, actually ended up to my advantage. As the slow march of carbon emissions slowly smothered the earth’s atmosphere, wrapping the earth snugly in a solar blanket of heat, the demand for ice cream only increased. While some countries struggled to grow the crops necessary for survival, nuclear wars were fought and waged, the pole caps completely melted, and levels of pollution hovered at levels that threatened to wipe out the human race. But the demand for ice cream stayed more or less near constant, and soon I was at the top of the ice cream industry. I thought that I had it all, living in my air conditioned security compound surrounded by the hired Moroccan guards who had immigrated to the newly independent kingdom of Ohio after the Sahara had wiped out the entirety of north Africa.
However, with time, my wealth, my power, and my fame seemed more and more hollow. Was my desire to bring the joys of a sweet, chilly dessert to the streets of my childhood really accomplished through fighting wars with Kentucky to obtain the last stock of natural cows? Was taking out rival company heads with robotic assassins really increasing the value added of every drop of dripping vanilla ice cream? Was arming my ice cream trucks with rocket launchers to take out rival trucks really bringing a smile to every child’s face, just like Fred the Ice Cream Man had done to me whenever he drove down Tenabo Avenue with Beethoven’s Fifth warbling out of his mangled stereo?

- James Juchau

No comments:

Post a Comment